Thursday, January 3, 2008

Basic requirements for obtaining a driver’s license or a learner’s permit in California

  • Minimum permit age: 15 and ½
  • Minimum holding period: 6 months (for applicants under 18)
  • Minimum license age: 16
  • Permit test: written test, taken at the DMV, 46 muliple-choice questions on road signs and traffic rules
  • License test: driving test, taken at the DMV
  • Supervised driving: minimum 40 hours during the day and 10 hours at night
  • Driver’s education: completion of a state-approved driver’s education course is required for every learner’s permit applicant who is under 17 and ½ year old.
Full instructions for obtaining a learner's permit or a driver's license in California.
Instructions for obtaining a learner's permit or a driver's license in other states.



2 comments:

JP said...

Is it possible to ask my aunt to get an OL 237 from the CA DMV and then bring it here to the Philippines and have my driver's education here? I want to do this because I am turning 16 in December, about to graduate from high school and I am coming back to CA in around April or May for college. So when I get there, I would have already learned stick shift and saved around $30 because driver's ed here is cheap.

Aaron Basedow said...

Very useful information you have provided. My friend is shifted to California and he is in search of good driving school in California for his son. Can you suggest some good driving school?